Saturday 24 November 2018 – 14:00 – 16:00, downstairs at Union Street (18-20 Union Street, Sheffield, S1 2JP)
At our first meet-up a few of us came together with questions about what transformative justice and community accountability processes are. How are they different to ‘mainstream’ approaches to justice like restorative justice or criminal justice approaches?
In our next session we will be exploring the key principles of transformative justice and community accountability drawing on the work of CARA, Creative Interventions, GenerationFIVE and INCITE! Everyone is welcome to join our conversation and you can find links to our readings and videos below:
- Communities Against Rape & Abuse (CARA) – ‘Taking Risks: Implementing grassroots community accountability strategies‘ (16 pages)
- Creative Interventions Toolkit: : A Practical Guide to Stop Interpersonal Violence Introduction, sections 1.1-1.3 & 1.5 (12 pages)
- Generation FIVE ‘Section One: Why is Transformative Justice Necessary for Liberation?’ in Toward Transformative Justice, sections 1.1-1.3 (p. 5-12) (7 pages)
- INCITE! Organising for Community Accountability Factsheet (2 pages)
- VIDEO: What is Accountability (5 minutes) From the Building Accountable Communities four-part video series, conversation by anti-violence activists Kiyomi Fujikawa and Shannon Perez-Darby